Every June, Kidsafe Australia drives greater awareness of burns prevention and correct first aid treatment for burns.
First Aid Treatment for Minor Burns:
- PREVENT – take action ot prevent burns and scalds
- REMOVE – yourself from danger and remove and clothing or jewellery unless stuck to the skin
- COOL – place the burn under cool running water for 20 minutes
- COVER – the burn with a clean dressing
- SEEK – medical attention if the burn is on the face, hands, lap or feet, is bigger than a 20 cent piece or is blistered
With severe burning, please contact Emergency dial 000.
When it comes to kids and burns – prevention is better than cure. Adult supervision and extreme diligence is required at all times.
Handy Resources on Burns Safety for the home:
- Download the First Aid Treatment for Minor Burns Poster
- Download the Burns Safety Checklist in the Home Poster
If you tick ‘NO’ to any of the questions, make a change so you can tick ‘YES’ and keep your family safe!
For more information and more resources on child safety visit Kidsafe Australia
Disclaimer: This blog provides general information and discussion about health and related subjects. The words and other content provided in this blog, and in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice. If the reader or any other person has a medical concern, he or she should consult with a GP. Links to other (“third party”) websites are provided solely as a convenience and not as a guarantee or recommendation by Park Street General Practice for the services, information, opinion or any other content on such third party websites or as an indication of any affiliation, sponsorship or endorsement of such third party websites.