We still need to remain vigilant to minimise COVID transmission as it becomes prevalent again in the Geelong region.
Here’s a few tips to help you protect yourself and others from COVID:
- Wear a mask . If you feel unsure or uncomfortable – it’s ok to continue to wear a mask in any situation.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water or use an alcohol based hand sanitiser.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces in the home and particularly the workplace regularly.
- Use a tissue and cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your arm to catch the cough or sneeze if no tissue immediately available. If you use a tissue, dispose of it immediately.
- Maintain social distancing. Try and maintain at least 1.5m distance between yourself and anyone you come into contact with. Why? When someone coughs or sneezes they spray small liquid droplets from their nose or mouth which may contain virus. If you are too close, you can breathe in the droplets, including the COVID-19 virus if the person coughing has the disease. Attend public gatherings only if you feel comfortable doing so, it’s still ok to say no ! And, it’s still ok to wear a mask !
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth. Why? Hand touch so many surfaces and may pick up viruses. If contaminated, hands can transfer the virus to your eyes, nose or mouth and enter the body.
- Keep up your vaccination boosters as applicable.
- Stay at home if you feel unwell.
- Get tested immediately. If you are sick and you think you have symptoms of COVID-19, get tested immediately Early diagnosis means you can get the help you need and take steps to avoid spreading the virus to someone else.
- Eat well to boost your immune system. Enjoy a well-balanced diet that is rich in vegetables and healthy oils, and low in sugar and processed foods. We like bone broth, citrus fruits, ginger, leafy greens, avocado, carrots, garlic and salmon.
- Exercise. There’s nothing like a bit of fresh air too. A daily walk is not only good for your physical health, but your mental health too.
- Get enough sleep. The Australian Department of Health recommends between seven and nine hours of sleep for adults 26-64 years old.
- Look after your mental health. There’s no doubt the last few years have been challenging. Restrictions and lockdowns took a toll on everyone’s mental health. If you feel you need to chat, please seek support. There are some great resources out there including:
Beyond Blue t: 1300 224 636
Head to Help Geelong t: 1800 595 212
Barwon Health Triage t: 1300 094 187 (24/7)
or speak with your GP.
Please note, when you attend Park Street GP, you are still required to wear a mask if you have respiratory symptoms.