Park Street GP Geelong is monitoring the outbreak for Coronavirus (COVID – 19) on a daily basis. What we do know is that good hygiene can prevent infection.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a respiratory illness caused by a new virus. Symptoms range from a mild cough to pneumonia. Some people recover easily, others may get very sick very quickly. There is evidence that it spreads from person to person. What we do know is good hygiene can prevent infection.
What is coronavirus (COVID-19)
Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a respiratory illness caused by a new virus.
Some people recover easily, others may get very sick very quickly. There is evidence that it spreads from person to person.
Symptoms of coronavirus
Symptoms range from a mild cough and symptoms similiar to the common cold to more severe symptoms such as pneumonia.
People with coronavirus may experience:
- flu-like symptoms such as coughing, sore throat and fatigue
- shortness of breath
How it spreads
The virus is spread through:
- close contact with an infectious person
- contact with droplets from an infected person’s cough or sneeze
- touching objects or surfaces (like doorknobs or tables) that have cough or sneeze droplets from an infected person, and then touching your mouth or face
Prevention and good hygiene
We do not recommend surgical masks for healthy members of the public. A surgical mask will not protect you against the virus.
Everyone should practise good hygiene to protect against infections. Good hygiene includes:
- washing your hands frequently with soap and water or use an alcohol based hand sanitiser
- using a tissue and cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your arm to catch the cough or sneeze if no tissue immediately available. If you use a tissue, dispose of it immediately.
- maintain social distancing.Maintain at least 1.5m to 2m distance between yourself and anyone you come into contact with. Why? When someone coughs or sneezes they spray small liquid droplets from their nose or mouth which may contain virus. If you are too close, you can breathe in the droplets, including the COVID-19 virus if the person coughing has the disease.
- avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth. Why? Hand touch so many surfaces and may pick up viruses. If contaminated, hands can transfer the virus to your eyes, nose or mouth and enter the body.
- stay at home if you feel unwell.
- seek medical advice early. If you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical advice.
Coronavirus diagnosis. When to seek medical assistance.
Coronavirus Hotline 1800 675 398
If you suspect you may have the coronavirus (COVID-19) call the dedicated Victorian hotline – open 24 hours, 7 days.
Please keep Triple Zero (000) for emergencies only.
There is no treatment as yet for coronavirus, but medical care can treat most of the symptoms. Antibiotics do not work on viruses.
If you have been diagnosed with coronavirus, isolate yourself in your home.
Resources to stay informed
The team at Park Street GP Geelong monitor COVID-19 health alerts on a daily basis. We will update our website and facebook page with any major developments.
Reliable sources of information regarding COVID – 19
You can also stay up to date on the Park Street GP Facebook Page.